The village and the perched castle of Poët Célard
The castle is first mentioned (castrum) in 1278. In 1464, Charles Blain bought the seigneury of Poët Célard in Poitiers and made it his main residence. His descendants kept it until 1830 when the last Countess du Poët bequeathed it to the village priest.
By its perched position, it benefits from an unobstructed view of the Roubion valley. This castle, situated away from the main roads, played a secondary role in the feudal wars as well as in the religious wars at the end of the 16th century, when it gradually fell into ruins and was used as a “quarry” for building materials.
The site was bought by the SLEA (Société Lyonnaise pour l’Enfance et l’Adolescence) which has set up building sites for a public in great difficulty. The ADCAVL (Association Drômoise Chantiers Animation Vie Locale) has been working on the site since 1986 by organising international workcamps. The castle will also become a place for the organisation of important cultural events, one remembers Poët Les Bains in 1999 and Poët sur Mer in 2001.